These tasty handheld meat pies are full of flavor and absolutely delicious.
Recipe modified from Jamaican Bites
4 cups all purpose flour plus more for dusting
2 Tablespoons sugar
½ Tablespoon salt
1/2 - 2- teaspoons turmeric
10 ounces vegan unsalted butter (I use Flora Brand)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 cup iced water
VEGAN BEEF FILLING ½ medium onion chopped
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon all spice powder
2 teaspoons curry
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons white pepper
3 green onion chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 pound vegan ground plant-based meat (I used Simple Truth Emerge Plant-based Meatless Grind) SEE NOTE.
1/4 cup crushed vegan crackers
1. In a food processor or by hand, mix together, flour, salt, sugar and turmeric - blend well. Add the butter followed by vinegar and water in small amounts, pulse until combined, or cut in with fork to blend, until dough holds together in a ball.
2. Place the dough on a well - floured surface. Divide it into 2 and roll it out. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes until ready to use.
3. Using a large mouth, glass or bowl about 4" - 5" cut out circles by gently pressing on the dough and releasing it, shaping the meat pie dough. Continue cutting out dough until all dough has been cut (there will be about a dozen). Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
Make the Meat pie filling
1. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a saucepan, followed by onions, garlic, paprika, thyme curry, chili powder, white pepper and all spice. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
2. Add ground meat and continue cooking for about 10 or more minutes, stirring frequently. To prevent burning, add about ½ cup of water.
3. Finally add cracker crumbs and green onions and parsley, adjust for salt and pepper if desired.
4. Remove from stovetop and let it cool.
Assembling Jamaican Meat pie
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Scoop two heaping tablespoons of filling into each circle, and brush with water around half of the circle. Fold over and press with fingers to gently to seal the edges of the meat pie. Another way of sealing is by pressing the tines of a fork along the edges of the dough.
2. Carefully place each pie on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes.
3. Best served warm.
1. Based on the brand of vegan meat used, you may need to add additional seasoning. Taste and adjust as needed. The Emerge Brand has a "natural grill flavor" which is pretty strong so I actually used 1-1/2 times the seasoning of the original recipe to mask that flavor.
2. Patties can be frozen and baked later.