These delicious waffles are delicately flavored with lemon zest and lavender and lightly sweetened. They’re made with a blend of oat and regular flour. Aquafaba, baking powder and lemon juice make them nice and fluffy. Drizzle them with a little warm lemon maple syrup and they become the perfect start to a spring morning!
Makes about 4 waffles.
As an Amazon Affiliate I may make a commission on any qualified purchases made through some of the links provided below.
3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons oat flour
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
1/4 cup pure cane sugar, separated
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 teaspoons culinary grade lavender buds
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3/4 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup aquafaba (canned chickpea juice)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1. Take 1 Tablespoon of the sugar, the lavender buds and lemon zest and grind them gently with a mortar and pestle (this help release the flavor of the lavender). Set aside.
2. Combine the oat flour, regular flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk to mix.
2. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Then add in the sugar-lemon zest-lavender mixture and whisk to combine. Let the batter stand for 5 minutes.
3. Heat the waffle iron to medium high heat according to manual instructions.
4. Add 3/4 cup batter to each mold in the waffle iron. Cook about 8 minutes or until browned and crisp. Using a wooden chopstick or silicone spoon, remove the waffle from the iron. Let cool for a moment.
5. Serve with Lemon Maple Syrup or any other desired toppings.
Lemon Maple Syrup
Add 1/2 to 1 Tablespoon lemon zest to 2 Tablespoons maple syrup. Warm in microwave for a few seconds and drizzle over waffle.