Light, airy, crispy and crunchy!
6 Tablespoons aquafaba (canned chickpea juice)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated vegan sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
NOTE: For any other extract use 1/2 teaspoon.
1. Beat aquafaba and cream of tartar until slightly stiff peaks form. Add sugar, pouring in a slow, even stream. Beat until firm & light. DO NOT OVERBEAT as this can also deflate meringue. Add flavor right as you are finishing beating.
2. Put meringue in pastry bag and pipe desired shapes on parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Bake in preheated 210 degrees F/99 degrees C oven for 2 hours. Turn off heat and leave meringues in oven for one more hour.
4. Store uneaten meringues in covered container.
5 Tips for Success:
1. Use canned aquafaba from chickpeas and chill it overnight. Drain and strain to remove chickpea residue. I’ve tried reducing the liquid from home cooked chickpeas and it’s not the same. Canned juice has the proper viscosity and chilling overnight makes it even better. I used @sprouts organic low-sodium.
2. Use cream of tartar. I’ve seen recipes that omitted it and read that lemon juice is a substitute for cream of tartar. I tried lemon juice and it did NOT work.
3. Use clear extract like almond or lemon, or (and this is the ONLY time I’ll suggest this), imitation clear vanilla. What flavor you use doesn’t impact the structure, it’s purely for aesthetics. Pure vanilla can be used but it will tint the meringues, making them look “dingy” and can affect color if using.
4. Bake low and slow. I baked these at 210 degrees F (~99 degrees C) for two hours. Turned off the the oven and left meringues for another hour without opening the door. You’re actually simply drying meringue and higher oven temp could cause unwanted browning.
5. Only make meringue when indoor humidity is low (60% or less). Sugar absorbs moisture from the air very quickly so when it’s humid the meringue won’t set up, even with the use of cream of tartar or it may weep liquid or soften overnight. At the proper humidity meringues will stay dry and will keep for days.