These stuff squashed bowls are nourishing, filling and loaded with flavor. Add your favorite toppings to create endless flavor options.
1 medium butternut squash (about 9-10 inches long)
Olive oil for brushing
3/4 cup cooked brown rice
3/4 cup fresh, canned or frozen corn
3/4 cup cooked or canned black beans (drained)
3/4 cup diced fresh or canned tomatoes (drained)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1-2 Tablespoons taco seasoning, to taste (See Note)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional toppings: Avocado sauce or crema, guacamole, vegan sour cream, cilantro, green onions, vegan cheese
Note: For taco seasoning, I simply blend my own using a mix of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked or regular paprika and a little oregano, to taste.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (about 205 degrees C).
2. Wash and dry squash then cut in half and remove seeds and pulp. Brush the top and cavity with olive oil. Place in a parchment lined baking dish and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
3. While squash is cooking, assemble remaining ingredients (thaw corn if using frozen, cut up fresh vegetables and drain any canned vegetables).
4. Remove squash and let it cool enough to handle. Carefully cut out the flesh, leaving a 3/8 inch edge (use the cavity as a guide). You should have large pieces that you can then cut into small cubes.
5. Season the squash cubes with salt, pepper and some of the taco seasoning then return the cubes and the hollowed out squash to the oven to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Let the squash boats and cubes cool enough to handle.
7. In a large bowl add the remaining ingredients and once cool, the squash. Add taco seasoning, salt and pepper to taste, then stir well and stuff the mixture equally into each squash boat half. Return to oven and bake for a final 15-20 minutes or until all ingredients are hot.
8. Place on serving dish and add toppings.
(For the avocado sauce I blended half of an avocado with lemon juice, water, salt and garlic powder to desired consistency and taste).