This quiche is ultra rich and creamy, full of flavor and an ideal dish for a hearty dairy and egg free meal.
Recipe modified from Bianca Zapatka
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
7 Tbsp vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
6-8 Tbsp ice cold water
Pinch of turmeric
5 oz package baby spinach
8 oz baby portobello mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
Water (to sauté)
14 oz silken tofu, drained
1 Tbsp chickpea flour
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric (optional, for color)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
5 scallions (green onions), chopped
4 oz vegan mozzarella shreds (I used Daiya)
Prepare Pie Crust
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
1. In a large bowl, mix together the two flours. Add the vegan butter in pieces. Mix with your hands until the mixture is crumbly. Add ice cold water a few tablespoons at a time and mix thoroughly into the flour-butter mixture. Once the dough comes together in a ball, transfer to a flat surface and continue kneading until the dough is smooth.
2. Roll out dough evenly on a floured surface. about 1/6 inch thick, then transfer to a 9" pie pan. Crimp or shape the edges or use a fork to create a pattern. Prick the sides and edges of the crust with a fork.
3. Pre-bake crust for 15 minutes. To do this, place a sheet of parchment paper on top of the crust then fill with dried beans and blind bake to keep the pie crust from rising on the bottom. Reduce oven to 360 degrees F.
Prepare the Spinach Mixture
1. In a large saucepan add a couple tablespoons of water. Add the spinach, mushrooms and garlic and sauté about 5 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
2. Transfer all ingredients to a large dish towel and squeeze excess water from the vegetables. Set aside.
Prepare the Tofu Filling
1. In a blender, mix tofu, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast and spices and non-dairy milk until thoroughly mixed. You should have a smooth and creamy mixture the consistency of pancake batter.
2. Add spinach mixture, scallions and vegan cheese to tofu filling and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
3. Pour the filling into the pie crust and smooth evenly. Bake 40-50 minutes until the filling is set and slightly golden brown. Check after 35 minutes and cover crust edges with foil if needed, to make sure they don't burn.
4. Remove quiche from oven and cool slightly before slicing.