Got leftover takeout white rice? Use it to make this delicious and filling dish.
2 large carrots, diced small
¼ onion, diced small
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ block extra firm tofu
1 teaspoon Origine ground turmeric
Pinch black salt (optional)
½ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
1 small box leftover takeout rice, cold (about 2 cups)
1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (or to taste)
1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder (or to taste)
¼ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
½ cup low-sodium tamari (or coconut aminos or regular or low-sodium soy sauce)
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1 – 8 oz can pineapple chunks (coarsely chopped)
1 or 2 green onions, sliced
Water for cooking
1. Heat large non-stick skillet to medium-high heat. Add ¼ cup water and immediately add in diced carrots. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender about 5-6 minutes, adding additional water as needed. Remove carrots from pan and set aside.
2. Add another ¼ cup water to skillet and immediately add in onions, stirring and cooking for about 2 minutes, then add in minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully so garlic doesn’t burn. Add more water if needed to reduce sticking.
3. Push onion-garlic mixture to one side of the skillet then crumble the tofu in your hand and add to the skillet. Sprinkle turmeric and pepper and black salt (if using) over tofu and mix well. Cook for about 2 minutes then add in cooked carrots. Add another ¼ cup water to ensure tofu doesn’t stick and burn (some sticking will occur, even in a non-stick skillet and with the water but this is normal). Stir well then add in cold cooked rice.
4. Break the rice apart with spatula then sprinkle garlic and onion powder and ginger (if using) over the entire mixture. Cook for a couple minutes, stirring constantly to make sure rice heats through.
5. Pour in tamari then green peas and stir well. Cook for a few minutes until peas are heated through.
6. Lastly, add in pineapple chunks and stir and cook for a few more minutes to heat pineapple. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired, if needed.
7. Remove Pineapple Tofu Fried Rice from skillet and add to serving dish then sprinkle with green onions.
Makes about 4 servings.