Coarse ground cornmeal is cooked, seasoned and then baked with a host of delicious herbs, bell peppers and onions to make a delicious small meal or side dish.
Makes 8 servings
1 cup coarse ground whole grain cornmeal (I used Bob's Red Mill coarse stone-ground but any medium or coarse ground cornmeal will work)
4 cups water
1 1/2 tsp salt (for low sodium diet, reduce salt to 1/2 tsp or omit altogether)
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp leaf oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp unsalted vegan butter (I used Flora brand)
1/3 cup vegan mozzarella style cheese (I used Daiya)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, F. Spray a 9 inch round casserole dish with non-stick oil spray.
2. Place water and salt in a medium-sized pot and bring water to boil. Gradually stir in cornmeal, making sure there are no lumps. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently until cornmeal has thickened.
3. Remove cornmeal from heat and stir in all the remaining ingredients until well mixed.
4. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Top should be firm.
5. Remove from oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving, to allow polenta to firm up. Slice and serve. Refrigerate any un-eaten portions.
Nutritional Information, Per Serving
2.7 g total fat
478 mg sodium
20.4 g carbs (2 g dietary fiber)
2.5 g protein