This curry is rich, full of flavor, comforting and delicious.
Recipe modified from The Guccha
4 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 medium onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 inch knob of ginger, minced
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
3 cups water
1 cup green lentils
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
Cilantro or green onions for garnish
1. Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large saucepan. When hot, add cumin and sauté for a couple second. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook 5-6 minutes or until onions are translucent.
2. Add diced tomatoes and heat for 3-4 minutes. Add lentils and water and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. Check the lentils for tenderness by mashing with a fork or with your fingers.
3. Once lentils are cooked and tender, add chili powder, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and mix well. Cook with lid closed for about 2-3 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low and add coconut milk. Stir and mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and add cilantro and/or green onions if desired.