These delicious vegan shortbread cookies are buttery, lightly sweet and gluten-free. The color comes from a superfood blend made from blue spirulina, butterfly pea flower and other nutrient-rich ingredients.
(Makes 9 2-inch diameter cookies)
1-1/2 cups almond flour, packed (make sure to use fine flour, not meal)
3 Tablespoons Zulka Morena cane sugar (or any organic cane sugar)
3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons plant milk
2-3 teaspoons Smoov Blends Wave Blend
Note: Use more or less to achieve desired color. Color lightens with cooking so make sure dough is darker than the desired color before baking.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, add all the ingredients except the milk and Smoov blend.
3. In a small cup add the plant milk and add the blend. Stir well to dissolve then add to dough.
4. Combine the ingredients with a spatula or spoon, then squeeze the dough with your hands to bring ingredients together, and form a cookie dough ball. If too wet, add more almond flour.
5. Scoop the dough with a measuring tablespoon and roll into 9 equal balls.
6. Place each ball onto the cookie sheet.
7. Flatten each one with the palm of your hand or gently with a fork.
8. Bake 12-15 minutes until slightly golden and slightly hard on top.
9. Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool down.
Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.