The star of this dish is the turmeric. It is perfectly balanced with ginger, cardamom and cumin.
1-1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon mild chili flakes
Salt and black pepper
2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed), divided
1. Heat coconut oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Season with salt and pepper (a couple large pinches each). Cook, stirring occasionally about 3 - 5 minutes or until onion is translucent and starts to soften.
2. Add turmeric, ginger, cardamom, cumin and red chili flakes and 1/2 cup of the chickpeas. Cook, stirring frequently, about 3-5 minutes, watching carefully to ensure spices don't burn.
3. Add vegetable broth, and stir well.
4. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes. Next, turn off heat and carefully remove mixture from stove and pour into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (alternately, use an immersion blender and blend in the saucepan). Return to saucepan, turn up heat and add remaining chickpeas. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
Serve with injera bread, pita bread, rice or enjoy alone.